The History of the Mill

2012

Commissioned an electronic document management system based on Microsoft Office SharePoint.

APPM was honored with an award “100 best companies in Russia. Environment and environmental management — 2012”. The CEO of the company was awarded with a badge of honor “Environmentalist of the Year  2012”.

Signed a contract with Andritz AG (Austria) for construction of the new NSSC pulp mill with the capacity of 1000 ton of product per day.

Arkhbum, the APPM affiliate, has launched construction of a new corrugated board mill at Istrinsky district of the Moscow Region with a cost about 1.5 billion RUB and capacity about 400 million m²/ year.

APPM came out a winner at the IX All-Russian Lesprom Awards at the following nominations “Most Transparent Company” and “For Considerable Tribute to Protection of the Environment”. The company CFO came out a winner at individual nomination of the IX All-Russian Lesprom Awards.

Started preparation to installation of turbine unit No. 5 at Power Plant No. 1.

Commissioned the Recovery boiler No. 1 at Power Plant No. 2 of the Board Mill.

As a result of the annual All-Russian award “The best Russian exporter — 2011”, founded by the Russian Industry and Trade Ministry, APPM came first in the nomination “The Fastest Growing Russian Exporter in Pulp and Paper Industry”.

The credit-rating agency Expert RA assigned JSC Arkhangelsk PPM the + credit rating (very high credit rating) with the stable outlook.

etso Automation Inc. was selected as supplier of the automated process control system equipment for the NSSC pulp mill at APPM.

The five representatives of the Mill were included to the list of “Top 1000 Russian Managers” according to the XIII annual rating of the Russian leading managers, prepared by the Managers Association and Kommersant Publishing House.

Signed a contract with Voith GmbH (Germany) to supply equipment for BM-1 wire section rebuild.

APPM was awarded with an honorary diploma “The Environment Leader in Russia — 2012” and made the top three environmentally transparent industrial leaders among the most responsible Russian companies according to Interfax ERA.

Signed a contract with Metorg GmbH (Germany) to supply equipment for the cutting-edge automated line BIELOMATIK P15-90 for exercise-book production.

The Metso Corporation won a contract to rebuild the washing department of the pulp production cooking area.

2011

The President of the Russian Federation has honored two APPM employees with the Russian state decorations. The award ceremony took place at the Moscow Kremlin.

Successful completion of the warranty test of Recovery Boiler No. 3 at the Power Plant No. 3 of the pulp production.

Arkhangelsk PPM won the award, established by the Russian Industry and Trade Ministry as “The Best Russian Exporter 2010”.

Mikhail Papylev was appointed as the new CEO of the Mill.

The label paper produced by APPM was certified to comply with the European standards applicable to the food industry (The international certification authority ISEGA (Germany) No. 31864 U11).

APPM cooked the 33 millionth ton of pulp since the Mill start up in 1940. APPM was awarded with a diploma as the Russian Environmental Safety Leader — 2011.

2010 The 70th anniversary of APPM.

2009

Acquired a social responsibility certificate established by the branch of the Russian Pension Fund in Arkhangelsk Region. These certificates were granted to the employers (insuring parties) for “diligent compliance with the legislation in terms of compulsory pension insurance and high social responsibility”.

APPM made one of the winners as a result of the professional national award “Environmental Activity Leader in Russia-2009.

APPM was included into the list of innovation-active Russian companies.

2008

The investment project “Modernization of the Board Production” was included by the Russian Industry and Trade Ministry to the list of priority investment projects in the area of forest development.

APPM was awarded by the Russian Ministry of Natural Recourses and the Russian Federal Forestry Agency with an honorary diploma “Russian Business Leader”.

As a result of the year 2007 the Mill has become a holder of the All-Russian award as “A Highly Socially Efficient Organization in Russia”.

APPM was acknowledged the winner of the regional contest “The best Collective Agreement” in the nomination among the non-budgetary enterprises with over a thousand employees.

APPM came first among the pulp and paper companies at the social and economic responsibility rating established by the International Social and Economic Union and the Independent Environmental Rating Agency.

2007

Commissioned Woodroom No. 4.

The Department of Pulp&Paper Technology of the Arkhangelsk State Technical University was established at APPM.

APPM joined the Social Charter of the Russian business.

APPM was awarded with three diplomas of the 10th regional contest “Arkhangelsk quality” for “product quality excellence”. Such products as fluting, hardboard, bleached kraft hardwood pulp grades FSC and ECF were acknowledged winners.

OJSC Arkhangelsk PPM was acknowledged the winner of the all-Russian award “A Highly Socially Efficient Organization in Russia” and was granted an honorary title of “A Highly Socially Efficient Organization in Forestry, Wood Processing and Pulp&Paper Industry — 2006”.

APPM was awarded with an honorary diploma as a “Russian Business Leader”.

Based on a decision taken by the Presidium of the International Patronage Academy, the staff of Arkhangelsk PPM was awarded with a Patron’s Gold Letter of Commendation “for contribution to development of charity institution, for preservation and augmentation of the patronage traditions in Russia”.

2006

Acquired a FCS chain of custody certificate “from the manufacturer to the consumer”.

The first FCS-certified pulp in Russia was manufactured at APPM.

Started the pilot operation of the Woodroom No. 4 with dry wood debarking process.

APPM was acknowledged the winner in nomination “Most Transparent Company 2005”.

APPM was awarded with an honorary diploma by the Central Committee of the Russsian Forest Industry Trade Union and the Union of Russian Timber Industrialists and Exporters “For achieving high performance and economic results, preservation of jobs, provision of stable social environment”.

APPM was acknowledged as “Fastest-developing Company” and awarded with a diploma for “The Best Innovation Project of the Year” (for construction of Woodroom No. 4). The Mill’s staff was awarded with a honorary diploma “For significant contribution to the development of the Russian Forest and Pulp&Paper Industry” as a result of a contest conducted by the Russian Ministry of Natural Recourses and the Russian Forestry Agency.

APPM was awarded the prize “For flawless reputation” in forest industry complex by the business reputation club of the “Komsomolskaya Pravda” newspaper.

2005

Started production of 24-sheet exercise-books.

Commissioned a 410 million RUB fluidized bed bark boiler -75 at the Power Plant No. 3.

Accepted a new document — “The policy of JSC Arkhangelsk PPM in terms of quality, environment, labor and health safety”.

APPM received an award of the All-Russian Forest Industry Reward in nomination “Most Strategically Important Project in the Russian Forest Complex”.

APPM was awarded a prize for “Flawless reputation” in forest industry complex by the business reputation club of the “Komsomolskaya Pravda” newspaper.

2004

Successful certification for compliance with the standards of the environmental management system ISO 14000.

2003

Installed a new coal boiler No. 10 equipped with an up-to-date automated process control system, the project cost exceeded 300 million RUB.

Commissioned a new CLO2 generation reactor, which enabled to shift to ECF bleaching of market pulp.

Successful certification to comply with the international ISO standards of 9000 series 2000 version.

APPM has become a leader in exercise book manufacturing.

APPM became the first Russian Pulp&Paper company that had its 2 emission data certified by the international environmental expertise.

Mastered production of paper with brightness over 100 %.

Started the engineering for construction of the new Woodroom No. 4 at Wood Yard with capacity of 2.2 million m³/year.

Acquired environmental responsibility rating.

Arkhangelsk PPM received a national business award as “The Company of the Year-2003”.

Fiberboard produced by APPM received an award at the all-Russian contest “100 best Russian products  2003” in nomination “Industrial Goods”.

2002

Completed the largest modernization of BM-1 in 30 years.

Fluting was awarded with a diploma of exhibition “Best Goods and Services of Arkhangelsk Region — 2002”.

Arkhangelsk PPM was awarded with “Peter the Great Plaque of Honor”, the highest public reward in Russia with the following wording “For merits and achievements promoting the development of Russia”.

Inventory of greenhouse gas emissions since 1990 was carried out. The inventory report including the procedure and calculations was submitted to the international expertise and was acknowledged to be true.

2001

Implemented the integrated company management system SAP R/3.

First exported a 150 ton batch of a new product, offset paper.

BM-1 was shut down for rebuild.

Started the development of a long-term action plan to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions in compliance with Kyoto Protocol.

As a result of All-Russian award “100 Best Russian Products” the bleached kraft pulp was awarded with a diploma.

The 12-sheet exercise books with colored covers were awarded a diploma at the contest “Best Goods of Arkhangelsk Region — 2001”.

2000

Started a large-scale modernization of BM-1 involving VOITH SULZER Paper Technology (Austria).

OJSC APPM participated in an exhibition. As a result of the contest “Best Goods of Arkhangelsk Region — 2000” APPM was awarded with a diploma as a winner of the contest for high quality product such as bleached kraft pulp (ECF), as well as with a membership certificate for corrugated board boxes No. 4.

1931 On June 23 the association “Soyuzbumaga” made a decision about the construction of Arkhangelsk Pulp and Paper Mill.
1935 April 7 marked the first working day at construction site.
1936

Started excavation for construction of the cooking department.

The first issue of a multy-copy construction newspaper “Za Stakhanovskuy Stroiku” (“For highly efficient construction”).

Installed the foundations of the cooking and wood-handling departments, combined heat and power plant.

1937 Political repressions aimed at some specialists employed at the construction of the Mill started. The head of construction I. P. Babkin and first Mill manager I. I. Shebalkov were arrested.
1938

Put into operation a section of railway Arkhbumstroy-Isakogorka.

Council of people’s Commissars of the USSR has approved the plan of locating an NKVD camp at the territory of APPM under construction.

The mill was passed under the control of GULAG.

1939

Two cable cranes were installed at Wood Yard.

Equipment installed at the CHP plant, wood yard, cooking, acid and drying departments.

1940

Started trial runs of equipment and preparations to start up of the electric power plant, commissioning of the first steam boiler and turbine generator.

Sequenced commissioning of the equipment in the production departments.

The Party and Komsomol organizations were established at the Mill.

A Mill’s vocational school was opened; in the future- a vocational school No. 6.

The first wrapping paper was produced at PM-1

17 batch cooks performed at the three digesters.

Produced 98 ton of unbleached pulp and 144 ton of wrapping paper.

August 27-28
Performed the first trial cook of pulp (digester cycle time 22 hours). Produced the first unbleached pulp.

1941

Completed the main construction scope.

Commissioned the second pulp dryer.

The settlement around Archangelsk Paper Mill was named Voroshilovskiy.

During the first quarter 4280 tons of pulp were sent to 29 customers.

Started production for the war front needs.

1942

Commissioned the distilling plant, produced the first industrial alcohol.

The bleaching and wringing departments were commissioned, as well as the third steam boiler at the combined heat and power plant.

1943

Commissioned the chlorine department.

The second lime kiln at the acid dept. was put into operation.

Produced 2.5 times more products compared to 1942.

1944

First production at the casting binders dept.

Cooked pulp at digester No. 6, completed construction of blow tank No. 6

The “ARKHLAG” camp at Voroshilovskiy settlement was abolished, the prisoners were staying until April 1945.

1945 Mastered regular production of bleached pulp.

1946

Released the first issue of the multy-copy Mill paper “Bumazhnik”.

The red banner of Narkombumprom (People’s Comissariat for Pulp&Paper Industry) was handed over to Arkhangelsk PPM for timeless storage to mark the excellent performance of the Mill during the Great Patriotic War based on the resolution of the All-Union Central Trade Union Council and Pulp and Paper Ministry.

Started production of printing paper No. 1.

1947 Continued with the installation and commissioning of the equipment that was on hold during the War.

1948 Started viscose pulp production.

1950

Commissioned the supercalendar No. 1.

Reached the design capacity at all seven batch digesters at the cooking dept.

Commissioned PM-2.

Produced the wrapping paper.

1951 The steam boiler No. 1 was switched over to high-speed combustion of wood wastes in the furnaces designed per professor Pomerantsev’S system.

1952 O2 plant was put into operation.

1953

Commissioned the anticorrosion workshop at the Mechanical & Repair Shop.

Started sulphur combustion with the use of oxygen.

1954

Commissioned the single-frame sawmill.

Rebuilt the steam boiler No. 2 to ensure the co-combustion of the hard coal and wood wastes.

1955 Mastered regular production of pulp for cigarette paper.

1956 Commissioned the Pulp Dryer No. 3.

1957

Bleach plant rebuild.

Voroshilovskiy settlement was renamed as Pervomayskiy settlement.

1958

Commissioned the Pulp Dryer No. 3

Continuous pulp bleaching system was put into operation.

A chipper with nine knives was commissioned at the woodroom dept.

1959

Pulp dryer No. 2 was rebuilt: eight dryers were installed.

The steam boiler No. 8 was put to operation.

The furniture factory, fiberboard dept. and the second O2 unit were commissioned.

Started construction of the first stage of the high pressure CHP plant.

1960

Commissioned the waste water treatment plant.

Produced first paper at PM No. 3.

1961

Commissioned PM No. 4.

Put into operation the eighth digester.

First export of the fiberboard.

1962

The departments of Power Plant No. 1 were commissioned.

Mastered production of writing paper No. 1 at PM No. 3 and dyeline base paper at PM No. 4.

1963

Commissioned the chemicals preparation plant, vacuum evaporation unit at the distilling plant.

Commissioned the high pressure steam boilers No. 6 and No. 7.

Produced first exercise books at the exercise book dept.

Completed construction of the power line, the Mill’s CHP plant was integrated into Arkhenergo system.

Exported the first batch of writing paper.

Started construction of the second production area of the Mill, a kraft board complex.

1964

Operation of the wet pulp dryer No. 4 was started for unbleached roll pulp production.

The second building of the Repair and Mechanical Shop was built.

Commissioned the chemical water treatment department.

Operation of the new bleaching plant was started.

A tabulating machine station was created to mechanize some organization and economic processes.

The boiler No. 7 was commissioned.

A branch of Sokolskiy pulp and paper technical school was opened, as well as the branch of Arkhangelsk forestry school which was opened later.

1965

Commissioned the fiberboard enamel coating dept, yeast plant, chlorine plant, a bulk coal storage and a quay for lifting coal, raw material and other materials from the river.

Commissioned the boiler unit No. 9 and turbine generator No. 7.

The furniture factory became an independent enterprise.

1966

Commissioned the boiler No. 10.

Switched the boiler No. 2 over to combustion of wood wastes only.

Commissioned PM No. 5: started production of thin paper.

Reached the full design capacity at the chlorine plant.

1967

Commissioned the boiler No. 11.

Commissioned the first stage of the biological waste water treatment plant.

1968

Commissioned the kraft board production line, which was the second stage of the Mill extension. The BM No. 1 was put into operation.

The first products from the new line were shipped to the customers: 93 ton of board and 809 ton of kraft market pulp.

A corrugating machine was commissioned at the corrugated packaging dept., produced the first meters of three-ply corrugated board and first corrugated board boxes.

Five-ply corrugated board was produced at the corrugated packaging dept. A first batch of label paper was shipped abroad.

1969

A plywood plant with the capacity of 50,000 m² of plywood was put into operation.

Board export was started.

1970

Started construction of the third production area of the Mill (bleached kraft pulp production with the capacity of 250,000 ton /year) with participation of the construction staff from the People’s Republic of Bulgaria.

Commissioned the BM No. 2 — the first high-speed broadsheet board machine in the USSR.

1971

Commissioned the boiler units No. 12 and 13.

For the first time in the region, the state quality mark was granted to the single-ply filter base paper produced by APPM.

1972

APPM was awarded with a VDNKh (All-Union Exhibition of Economic Achievments) diploma for the development of a low-grammage process of board production.

Export of fluting was started.

Produced the first ton of fluting made of pulp produced by the Mill.

1973

Modernization of BM No. 2.

A 1 millionth ton of unbleached kraft pulp was cooked at the kraft board production.

1974

Commissioned the boiler unit No. 14.

The automated control system department was created, the first electronic computing machine at the Mill was commissioned.

1975

Commissioned the bleached kraft pulp production, the third production area of the Mill.

Commissioned the cooking and washing dept.

The first CAM (computer-aided management) system was put into operation.

1976 The bleaching plant of the bleached kraft pulp production was put into operation.

1977

The Pervomayskiy settlement was reorganized into a town of Novodvinsk with a regional subordination.

The rebuild of BM-1 press section was started (completed at the beginning of 1978).

1979

A state quality mark was granted to the three types of stationery paper products.

Started production of a new product, sodium chlorate at the chlorine plant. The first export ship departed from the Mill’s quays.

1980 Production of hardwood pulp was started at the bleached kraft pulp mill.

1981 A millionth ton of pulp was cooked at the third production area. Arkhangelsk PPM was awarded with the Order of Lenin.
1982 A millionth ton of semi-chemical pulp was cooked at the kraft board production of the Mill.

1983 Fluting paper was rated as the top quality grade.

1984 An automated bailing line was commissioned at the drying dept. of the sulphite pulp and paper production.

1985

Implemented an automated supervisory control system “Energokhozyaistvo”.

The paper machine No. 6 was commissioned.

1986 BM-2 drive was rebuilt.

1987

A recovery boiler at power Plant No. 3 of the bleached kraft pulp production was commissioned.

A major rebuild of pulp dryer No. 2 at the sulphite pulp and paper production was completed.

1988

The Mill switched over to self-sufficiency (Khozraschyot).

Extra payments to the workers for the work at evening and night hours were introduced.

A major rebuild of the sulphite pulp and paper production was started.

The digesters were changed over from stock blowing to stock flushing process.

1989

The rebuild of the sulphite production with involvement of Austrian and Finnish companies.

The plywood plant segregated from Arkhangelsk PPM.

1990 Implemented the automated process control system Measurex-2002.

1992

Modernization of the corrugated packaging dept. with commissioning of the BHS corrugating machine.

APPM became a joint-stock company.

1994

The technical deterioration of the Mill was escalating, the wear of the main production assets reached 87%.

The production capacities were utilized at less than 30%.

The Mill reorganization took place, 11 legally independent joint-stock companies were organized from the Mill’s structural units.

The Mill was acknowledged bankrupt.

1997

APPM became a company with almost 100% private capital, the major stock of the company is now owned by the industrial and commercial enterprise Titan, significant number of shares belong to the western shareholders.

Elementary chlorine free pulp was produced.

Fiberboard plant started production of the new product, coated fiberboard. Based on the decision of the shareholders the sulphite pulp production was shut down, the outdated process did not comply with the contemporrary environmental requirements.

A large-scale rebuild and modernization of the kraft board production complex was started.

1998

Arkhangelsk PPM was granted a prize “Golden Mercury” as well as certificate No. GM-27/12 in Rome, Italy at the presentation of a program “Partnership for Progress”.

Based on a resolution of the Head of Arkhangelsk Region Administration, the program related to the implementation of the ECF-free pulp bleaching process was awarded with the highest prize in the name of M. V. Lomonosov.

As a result of a contest among the export companies, held by the Ministry of Trade, APPM JSC was awarded with an honorary diploma as the best Russian exporter as well as with a distinction mark of “The Best Exporter of the Year”.

1999

As a result of a contest among the export companies, held by the Ministry of Trade, APPM JSC was awarded with an honorary diploma as the best Russian exporter as well as with a distinction mark of “The Best Exporter of the Year”.

APPM was first included into the rating of the top Russian companies based on the sales volume.

APPM was selected to represent Russia at the General Assembly of the Global Industrial Association of the Board Manufacturers. APPM was the only member of the Association from the Eastern Europe and was fully-fledged alongside with such major global manufacturers as Stora Enso Oyj, AssiDoman AB, Sappi Limited, Smurfit-Stone Container Corp.

APPM was awarded with a diploma as a result of the All-Russian contest “A Hundred Best Russian Products”.

Modernization of the recovery boiler No. 2 at the board production was completed.

Signed a contract for the supply of automated quality control systems for BM-1, BM-2 and PM-4.

Commissioned PM-6 that had been mothballed in 1995 due to the lack of raw material.

164900, Russia, Arkhangelsk region
Novodvinsk, 1 Melnikova St.

E-mail: info@appm.ru
Enquiry service: (81852) 6-35-00