Paper production — the oldest at APPM — was started in 1940. The first product of paper manufacturing was unbleached wrapping paper. More than 18,000 tons of paper were produced for military purposes during the World War II.
Until 1997 the paper production was a part of the general sulfite pulp and paper production. But in 1997 the sulfite pulp mill was shut down by the decision of the shareholders: the outdated technology did not comply with the contemporary environmental requirements.
Nowadays the main raw material for paper production is the kraft bleached pulp from the third production area.
Within APPM there are two paper manufacturing factories and paper goods department, which produce dozens of product types. About 70,000 ton of pulp produced at the Mill are processed into paper.
There are three paper machines at the Mill: a Vülner PM-3, PM-4 manufactured by Dnepropetrovsk plant (the most powerful, with a production capacity up to 36,000 ton of paper annually), and PM-6, which produces approx. 15,000 of paper per year. Within the years of operation all the three paper machines were renovated. In particular, a large scope of work was done at PM-4 in 2001: the fourdrinier table, dryer section, reel section were replaced, an automated product quality control system was installed. The machine’s speed increased form 300 to 370 m per minute.
About 20 % of the writing paper produced at the Mill is used for school exercise-books and paper stationery goods. The estimated capacity of each of the nine exercise-book ruling machines exceeds 80 thousand exercise-books per shift.